Gideon Tutorial: How to Make Diane's Warhammer - Seven Deadly Sins
Here are my construction notes (WIP) for Diane's Gideon. Some principles can be applied to other props and hammers.
Eva foam (gym mats)
X-acto blade knife and extra blades
Craft foam 3mm
PVC pipe, PVC connector
Mod podge (optional)
Spray paint or acrylic paint
Glossy finish paint
Cement glue and E6000
Gideon Overview: I made a Sketchup diagram pdf of the hammer head and printed it out and taped it together. Then I traced it out onto eva foam (gym mat puzzle pieces) and cut them out with an x-acto blade knife. I used cardboard under the foam so I wouldn't cut my floor. The blades dull quickly, so I bought several replacement blades. Then all the pieces were glued together with cement glue. I also used hot glue to fill in some gaps, but not as the main glue. I divided Gideon into different parts, so I will explain the patterning for each part. Be sure to click the picture above to see it in full-size.
Fig. 1: Finished hammer head. Parts A-D
C: I cut four 10" square pieces out. I cut out the arrows on the 2 sides, pushed them in, and glued them from the back. I will not make cuts in BC or CD until those pieces were made.
Fig. 2: Part A (bottom) and B (top)
A&B: Part A is a dome, so I used half of a semicircle to pattern it. The outside diameter was 10" (D1=10), so I used that to back-calculate the radius of the semicircle that I would have to cut (R2=20"). I measured 20x20 on a piece of eva foam and cut that out accordingly. Then I cut out the inner radius (Ri-small). I didn't record the number down, but I just eyed it so that the length of the dome was long enough. I also cut a circle (<10" diameter) so I could glue it onto the back of A. Then I cut pieces of 3mm craft foam out and glued it onto the circle so it would look like cracks. I cut a second circle to stick in the middle of A as support.
Fig. 3: Finished hammer head. Parts A-D
A&B: I also cut A's cracked circle (<10" diameter) so I could glue it onto the back of A. Then I cut pieces of 3mm craft foam out and glued it onto the circle so it would look like cracks. I cut a second circle to stick in the middle of A as support. Piece B is just a long rectangle glued at the ends into a circle.
Fig. 4: Part D
D: I traced the template onto eva foam, and cut that out. Then I made a triangle pattern for the bottom and top arrow piece (Fig 4). I glued everything together. Then I traced part D and B onto their corresponding side on part C and cut out a square for D and a circle for B.
Fig. 5: Support for D
D: I cut out a circle and stuck it into D for support. The PVC pipe and connector are also visible.
Fig. 6: Support for D and PVC pipe
D: I also cut out a square and stuck it into D for support. The PVC pipe and connector are also visible. I sandwiched the PVC pipe into the square supports. Then I put another square to close off the hammer (not shown).
Fig. 7: Part E
E: Part E is made almost the same way as part A. I cut out a semicircle of radius (R2=20") and a much smaller inner diameter. I suggest making the pattern on paper first before doing it on eva foam.
Fig. 8: Part E. The finished cone and craft foam for details.
E: I also put in a tear-shape for support. I cut long rectangles of 3mm craft foam for the raised details on E.
Fig. 9: Part E and the tear-shape support.
E: I sandwiched the PVC pipe in the tear-shaped support.
Fig. 10: The wooden dowel will go into the pipe
E: The green part (E) is made from eva foam with black craft foam details. The golden parts (G) are made from sculpey. I baked them in the oven and then slid them on. Some of them were reglued together because they cracked when sliding them on. The gray part (H) is 3mm craft foam with criss-crosses made by an x-acto knife. The white cones (F and I) are made from 3mm craft foam and follow the same half-semicircle pattern as the bigger cones.
Fig. 11: The finished bottom half of the hammer
E-J: The wooden dowel sticking out of D will connect with the PVC pipe of C. I stuck a wooden dowel wrapped in scotch tape into the PVC pipe. A PVC piece will go into the PVC pipe connector from Fig. 6. It was originally a larger piece that I had cut.
Fig. 12: The finished bottom half of the hammer
I: This is how I made my pieces removable. The schematic is wood-PVC connector-PVC. The PVC is joined to the PVC connector, and the wooden dowel is joined to that same PVC. The wooden dowel then joins to the (left) PVC on the other side. I wrapped scotch tape around the wooden dowel so it would be a more snug fit. Using this method, I have Gideon separable into 3 different pieces: hammer head, top half, bottom half.
Part J is a wooden circle that I bought from Hobby Lobby. I used E6000 to glue it onto the PVC pipe. I also glued a sculpey clay ring (G) onto J as well.
After all the pieces were done, I tested them to make sure they were separable. Then I added 2 layers of mod podge and 1 layer of Plastidip (2-3 layers would be better). I added 2 layers of gold spray paint, and then added 1 layer of brown acrylic paint. I used darker brown paint for the shadow areas, and I weathered it with the dark brown and black too. I should've used brown spray paint from the beginning, but I thought it was gold for some odd reason. I think the brown acrylic actually gave it a dirtier look, fitting for Gideon. Finally, I painted 3 layers of acrylic gloss.
< BACK TO TUTORIAL