I took apart the mock-up and traced it onto my regular fabric. I used 2 layers of broadcloth because it was the only fabric I could find in 2 dark brown colors. I still had some overlap, but not a whole lot. It wasn't enough, so make sure you have a little more than what you think. My stitches were looser in the mock-up, so I was able to stretch the fabric more (don't make this mistake).
I lengthened a regular sleeve pattern and cut out the corresponding light and dark parts, then sewed them together. I top-stitched over the light brown portion. After making the sleeve, I added the black border and hand-sewed the buttons on.
I also sewed the lining pieces together and put that inside the jacket. I highly suggest lining your jacket as well. The lining will absorb sweat and it also means you don't need to finish the inside seams.
For the back piece, I made sure the top portion was light brown and the bottom portion, dark brown. Using a water-soluble pencil, I drew the part of the back that curves upwards. Be careful with this part and don't cut it too short.
Make sure you try on the top before cutting it out. The additional back pieces are an extension of the back, but with a notch in the middle. I lined it and put interfacing on as well. Also ended up taking it in a little bit.
I went ahead and added interfacing onto the front collar as well, as well as bias tape. The bias tape along the collar flips between the collar flap and the neck collar. The jacket should look similar to this before attaching the back piece. Make sure to add bias tape along the appropriate places before attaching the back piece. I sewed the back piece on above the bias tape.
I hand-sewed snap-ons onto the front of the jacket, so that I could overlap one side over the other.
The jacket wouldn't close completely, so I added a hook&eye as well. I covered the hook&eye with yellow thread, so it wouldn't stand out too much.
This is what my finished jacket looks like.
For the tank top, I shortened a yellow tank top I already owned. I printed out her emblem in yellow and traced it onto a piece of paper. I cut out the fire, and then used it as a template. I traced the fire with a black fabric marker and painted the inside with black fabric paint.
I messed up with the fabric paint, so I soaked it in water, and the paint came out. I was more careful the second time. The paint will come out with water until it is heat sealed with an iron.
For the white skirt, I cut out a rectangle with this shape in chiffon fabric. I rolled the ends over, so it wouldn't fray.
For the brown skirt, I made regular side pleats and sewed black bias tape along the bottom.
I gathered the top of the white skirt, making sure it was shorter in length than the brown skirt, but longer in height. I sewed the white skirt onto the brown skirt. The white skirt should be on the inside of the brown skirt.
I also made belt loops. Make sure the belt loops are big enough to accommodate the belt that will be used with this cosplay. I hand-sewed snap-ons on the inside of the white skirt and on my black shorts.
I bought some black shorts on sale from Aeropostale and shortened them. It's easier to just modify shorts instead of making them from scratch. I hand-sewed snap-ons onto the shorts so I could attack the skirts.
For the fire belt strap, I used the stencil from earlier and used fabric paint. I painted several layers.
The edges of the paint cracked a bit, but I drew a black outline around the fire with black fabric marker.
For the fire belt strap pattern, I cut out twice the intended length and added interfacing. I wanted it to fold over on itself. I will use snap-ons to attach it to the belt.
I sewed bias tape around the whole thing, taking care to sew it from the other side on the top. The belt strap should be able to fold over itself so that the snap-ons close on each other.
For the pouch, I cut out a general bag pattern from leftover faux-leather fabric and the dark brown broadcloth color. I made sure it was big enough to fit my cellphone.
Next, I installed magnetic snap-ons to close the pouch, making sure to add interfacing to where the snap-ons are attached.
I sewed a belt loop onto the broadcloth cut-out of the pouch. Then I covered the faux leather with the broadcloth so that the bag would be the same color as the skirt.
I sewed it together from the inside and then flipped it inside-out. Had to make sure the magnetic snaps work too.
As a final touch, I drew arrows on the pouch with a brown fabric marker. The design is hard to figure out from my references, but I think they are arrows.
The bottom portion should look like this when done.
For the scarf, I cut out a rectangle from leftover jersey fabric and sewed the edges with a zig-zag stitch. I traced an infinity scarf that I already owned for the dimensions.
For the leg wrap, I cut out a rectangle that tapered at the ends. I tie it around my leg twice.
Over-the-knee Sock - Gold color from Sockdreams
Wig - Arda Luthien in Light Blonde
For the ahoge, I lifted some hair from the middle of the head. Be careful to get equal amounts of hair from each side. Then I tied the bottom and top off with a small rubberband.
Next I cut the hair a little bit below the rubber band. I aligned the 2 pieces of hair together and put fabric glue at the bottom of the ahoge and at the top of ahoge. I sprayed on some Got2be Blasting Freeze Spray and then put more fabric glue on the top and bottom of the ahoge.
For the bangs, I trimmed them first, separated them into 3 sections, and then used got2be spray. I applied some fabric glue onto the ends and the inside of the bang. The fabric glue is more permanent than hair spray, so be sure to add some.
< BACK TO TUTORIAL